Spring has sprung and it’s time to get back outside and bask in some natural beauty. Maryland offers individuals in recovery a bevy of amazing sober spring activities to check out. If you live in Maryland, or in neighboring D.C. or Virginia, enjoy exploring the many inspiring springtime activities and outings this state has to offer.
Enjoy sobriety in the springtime
The winter doldrums are over and brilliant foliage and flowers now carpet the landscape. Spring is the season of hope and joy, especially for individuals in recovery. Celebrate your sobriety this season by putting together a list of weekend getaways, outdoor activities and seasonal highlights to go, see and do.
Springtime is the perfect time to renew your commitment to substance use recovery. To start the season off right, add in some extra meetings to boost your sobriety efforts. Also, restart your fitness routine and revamp your diet so you can feel your absolute best as you enjoy this gorgeous season.
5 inspiring ideas for enjoying a sober springtime in Maryland
If you are lucky enough to live in Maryland, you are blessed with an abundance of natural beauty all around you. This spring, consider experiencing these amazing sober activities:
- Visit public gardens: Maryland is known for its lush gardens, so add some of these to your list of places to visit this spring:
- Ladew Topiary Gardens in Harford County
- Howard Peters Rawlings Conservatory & Botanical Gardens in Baltimore
- Historic London Town and Gardens in the Annapolis area
- Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center in southern Maryland
- Sherwood Gardens in Baltimore
- Sotterley Plantation colonial gardens in southern Maryland
- See some historical sites: If you are a history buff, Maryland is home to many historic Civil War sites, such as:
- Antietam National Battlefield in Sharpsburg
- Fort McHenry in Middletown
- Monocacy National Battlefield in Frederick
- Head to the beach: Spring is a wonderful time to head to Maryland’s Eastern Shore where you can spend time enjoying its beautiful beaches. Soak up the fresh air while convening with nature. Consider these activities:
- Go fishing
- Pack a picnic lunch
- Go on a scenic hike
- Visit Ocean City for tours, parasailing, boat rentals and the Trimper Rides Amusement Park
- See the wild horses at Assateague Island National Seashore
- Plan a day trip: Hit the road at the break of dawn and head out for a day trip. Some cool day trip ideas include:
- Visit a historic town, like Havre de Grace, St. Mary’s City or Annapolis
- Head to a State or National Park, like Great Falls National Park, Swallow Falls State Park, Seneca Creek State Park or Deep Creek Lake State Park
- Bike or stroll a few miles of the historic C&O Canal
- Go crabbing. April through June is crabbing season, so head out to Chesapeake Bay and bring home some blue crabs for dinner. Don’t forget to register online before you go.
- Go berry picking. Head out to Catoctin Mountain Orchard in Frederick, Shaw Orchards in White Hall or Swann Farms in Owings to fill some baskets with luscious strawberries.
- Have some family fun: For individuals in recovery who have young kids, check out these fun outings for the family:
- All aboard the Walkersville Southern Railroad for a historic train ride through the countryside. Enjoy kid-friendly special events on the train, like the Easter Train in the spring.
- Head to the zoo! Check out the Dinosaur exhibit at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore or the wild animals at the Catoctin Wildlife Preserve in Thurmont.
- Take the kids to the National Aquarium or Inner Harbor for all things aquatic.
Who says a sober lifestyle has to be dull and boring? On the contrary, there are many sober spring activities to enjoy, so go ahead and make this springtime the most rewarding you’ve had so far!