Entering treatment to conquer a substance use disorder is one of the most important decisions you can ever make. Now that you have decided to turn your life around and restore health and wellness, the process of selecting the best treatment program for your particular recovery needs takes center stage. With so many choices available, determining the best addiction treatment center for your needs can be overwhelming. Here we explore some of the features to look for when choosing a treatment program.
8 features to look for in an addiction treatment center
When beginning your search, it is important to note the key features to be looking for in a treatment program. Check out these essential qualities:
- It conducts a thorough assessment and evaluation: The intake process is a critical first step in beginning recovery. Look for a program that considers all relevant factors, including mental health conditions, when making the initial diagnosis.
- It creates individualized treatment plans: Seek a treatment program that is committed to customizing treatment plans, addressing the unique features of each individual’s diagnosis and recovery needs.
- It offers a comprehensive treatment approach: An effective treatment program integrates a multi-modal approach that includes traditional therapies, holistic therapies and a focus on health and wellness.
- It includes family-focused activities: Because of the importance of the relationship between the individual in treatment and their family, the program should include a component of family therapy.
- It uses evidence-based therapies: Therapies that have been studied and found to be clinically effective, termed evidence-based therapies, should form the core treatment elements of the program.
- It employs licensed and qualified clinical and support staff: Look for a program that offers expertise in the field of addiction recovery. The clinical staff should have the required licensing for their positions.
- It adheres to industry best practices: Treatment centers that are enrolled in Joint Commission and/or CARF accreditation programs demonstrate a commitment to conforming to the highest standards of the industry.
- It provides a clean, safe and organized treatment setting: The treatment center should be well maintained, comfortable and clean, in addition to providing a respectful and dignified environment for all.
Consider your addiction recovery needs
Aside from practical matters, such as whether the treatment center is covered by your insurance or is in a desirable location, there are additional considerations when selecting a treatment program. To fine-tune your treatment center options and ensure it aligns with your recovery needs, ask whether the program provides these areas of focus:
- Guides you toward changing dysfunctional patterns: Therapy helps you examine and change the habitual thought and behavior patterns that have kept the individual stuck in the substance use cycle.
- Provides you with essential recovery tools: For recovery to succeed long-term, individuals must be equipped with coping tools to help manage triggers and setbacks. Ask how the program prepares individuals for achieving sustained sobriety.
- Helps you build a support system: The program should offer case managers to coordinate supportive services after completion of the program, as well as providing alumni activities.
- Helps you establish healthy routines: Treatment should offer guidance in establishing new healthy habits, such as in nutrition, fitness and self-care. This helps individuals develop a healthy lifestyle after treatment.
When you embark on the life-changing journey toward recovery, seek out the type of treatment center that offers the qualities and features that best suit your individual needs. The more closely the program aligns with your recovery needs, the more engaged you’ll be in the overall treatment process.
Ashley Addiction Treatment, formerly Father Martin’s Ashley, is a nationally recognized nonprofit leader in integrated, evidence-based treatment for substance use disorders. Our programs are accredited by The Joint Commission, and result in frequent publications of ongoing research into effective treatment methodologies. We offer holistic care that encompasses the mind, body and spirit through inpatient and outpatient treatment, provide drug detox, relapse prevention plans, family wellness programs and a variety of other services tailored to each patient’s unique needs. Our driving principle — “everything for recovery” — reinforces our mission to transform and save lives through the science of medicine, the art of therapy and the compassion of spirituality, and is complemented by our philosophy of healing with respect and dignity. For information about our comprehensive programs, please call 866-313-6307.