Even though they realize that teenagers tend to be curious about substances, parents are still blindsided when they discover their own teen is experimenting with drugs or alcohol. Parents have never been so fearful about the issue of substance use, particularly because of the recent surge of fentanyl deaths among teens and young adults.
If you have learned that your teen is engaging in substance use, it’s important to intervene before the problem escalates. Fortunately, there are substance use treatment programs that are designed specifically for adolescents. Let’s consider the treatment options available for teens and the benefits of specialized teen addiction recovery programs.
What is a teen addiction treatment center?
If a teen has developed a problem with substance use, they can benefit from professional guidance and support. Teen treatment programs provide a structured, multi-modal approach to aid adolescents in changing their behaviors. Teen treatment interventions include:
- Group therapy
- Family-focused group activities
- Life skills training
- Experiential activities
- Holistic activities
- Classes on addiction education and relapse prevention
Teen addiction treatment options come in several levels of care. These include basic outpatient therapy, intensive outpatient programs, partial hospitalization programs and residential treatment programs. The level of care recommended for each teen is determined during the intake interview and evaluation process. Residential treatment offers the highest level of care for adolescents struggling with a moderate to severe substance use disorder.
5 Benefits of teen addiction recovery programs
There is no way to overstate the importance of addressing a teen’s substance use problem as early as possible. Enrolling them in a teen addiction recovery program can mean the difference between them enjoying a healthy, productive life or ending up mired in addiction, or worse.
Some of the benefits of a teen addiction treatment program include:
- Teen programs are tailored to their needs: There’s a good reason why recovery programs are created differently for adolescents versus adults. Teens are still developing, with many of the executive functions of the prefrontal cortex not yet mature. Teen programs for substance use take these differences into account and design the program accordingly.
- Teen programs stress the importance of family involvement: Having the teen’s family on board as an essential source of support is critical. Teen treatment programs emphasize the need for parents to be engaged and informed so that they will be in a position to provide needed support once the teen has completed treatment.
- Teen programs include experiential therapies: Most teens are not accustomed to engaging in therapy sessions with adults. Some teens struggle to open up in therapy and may hold back. A teen program takes into account that teens are more open while they are engaged in experiential activities. These are activities where teens are physically moving or doing some activity while they discuss their emotions.
- Teen programs help boost their confidence: Most teenagers already struggle with low self-confidence. When a teen engages in substance use, many aspects of their lives suffer terribly, which only lowers their confidence further. Teen programs integrate activities that help to build their self-confidence.
- Teen programs improve all aspects of life: Teens who work on themselves through therapy while enrolled in a teen treatment program benefit from improved mental health, physical health and social skills. By developing these areas, the teen enjoys an improved quality of life.
Early intervention is vital, allowing the teen to limit the adverse effects of substance use, and get their life back on track. A teen addiction recovery program helps them reclaim their health and wellness and allows them to reach their personal potential in life.
Ashley Addiction Treatment, formerly Father Martin’s Ashley, is a nationally recognized nonprofit leader in integrated, evidence-based treatment for substance use disorders. Our programs are accredited by The Joint Commission, and result in frequent publications of ongoing research into effective treatment methodologies. We offer holistic care that encompasses the mind, body and spirit through inpatient and outpatient treatment, provide drug detox, relapse prevention plans, family wellness programs and a variety of other services tailored to each patient’s unique needs. Our driving principle — “everything for recovery” — reinforces our mission to transform and save lives through the science of medicine, the art of therapy and the compassion of spirituality, and is complemented by our philosophy of healing with respect and dignity. For information about our comprehensive programs, please call 866-313-6307.