Fathers Day is right around the corner, marking that time of year that we are granted the opportunity to show some love to the dads out there. If there is one thing all dads will agree on it is a love for barbeque. For Father’s Day, why not give Dad a break and take over the grilling duties yourself?
What dad wouldn’t enjoy a savory grilled chicken dish? This tantalizing recipe is bound to make his day as special as he is. It is easy to prepare, lean, and quite nutritious. So fire up the grill on Father’s Day and put a smile on your dad’s face.
Featured Recipe: Honey Ginger Marinated Grilled Chicken Thighs
5lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 tbs. fresh ginger minced
1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup sweet Thai chili sauce
4 tbs. sesame oil
1 bunch fresh scallions
1 pinch sesame seeds for garnish
- Pat chicken dry, trim excess fat from chicken thighs, and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Peal and mince fresh ginger.
- Combine sweet Thai chili sauce, low-sodium soy sauce, honey, and minced ginger in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken thighs to marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight (up to 24 hours).
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on spare baking sheet.
- Heat grill to medium/high heat and grill chicken thighs until cooked throughout (about 5 to 8 minutes per side). Cooking time will vary depending on heat of grill.
- Top chicken with thinly sliced scallions and sesame seeds.
Prep: 15 min (+12 hours, marinade time) Cook: 15min Total: 30 min
Pair the chicken dish with some tasty grilled carrots and a side of quinoa for added nutrition benefits—and a delicious Father’s Day meal
Why Men in Recovery Should be Health-Conscious
In recovery, nutrition matters. Restoring brain health and overall wellness should be a top priority for men and dads who are committed to a long life in recovery. Studies confirm the importance of nutrition in rebuilding the body and replacing essential nutrients lost while in active substance use.
According to an article in MedlinePlus, the role of nutrition in recovery is clear. The body needs proper nutrition in the healing process to rebuild organs and restore brain health. Recommendations in substance use recovery include:
- Heaving meals at regular times each day
- Eat a diet rich in low fat foods
- Increase proteins, complex carbohydrates, and dietary fiber
- Include vitamin and mineral supplements, such as B-complex, zinc, and vitamins A and C
- Eat nutritious snacks between meals
- Limit caffeinated beverages
- Stop smoking
- Get regular exercise
Maintaining a healthy diet and getting plenty of physical activity enhances the mood, energy level, and quality of sleep, all of which will support recovery.
Why this Delicious Father’s Day Meal is a Perfect Choice for Dad
Consider the healthy aspects of the Honey Ginger Marinated Chicken Thighs recipe:
- Honey in place of sugar. Honey is a healthier sugar alternative because it is able to provide more nutrients than sugar and is not processed. Although both sugar and honey are made up of a combination of fructose and glucose, honey has a 1:1 ratio of glucose to fructose making it a better alternative for those who have diabetes. It does not cause as large of spike in blood sugar compared to white sugar. In addition, it is lower in calories compared to white sugar (46 calories compared to 64).
- Low fat. By removing skin and trimming excess fat, the overall fat content is reduced. Also, the use of a grill reduces the need for cooking oil – the use of dry heat cooking methods allows for the reduced use of fats.
- Less salt. Low-sodium soy sauce reduces sodium intake. Your body requires sodium to conduct nerve impulses, contract and relax muscles, and maintain proper water balance. However, high sodium intake can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke so should be controlled through diet.
From all of us at Ashley Addiction Treatment, a warm and healthy Happy Father’s Day!