If you are at a point in your recovery journey when you feel ready to start dating again, you might be on the lookout for some sobriety-friendly date ideas. It’s wise to approach this new world of dating in recovery by being proactive and prepared. So, if you are searching for some fun sober date ideas, please read on!
When should you start dating in recovery?
While in treatment, individuals are counseled to wait at least a year before jumping back into the dating game. By avoiding romantic relationships during that first year in recovery, you are better able to focus on rebuilding your career, finances and health.
When it does feel like the right time to start dating again, there are some precautions to consider. These can help you from veering into precarious waters and keep you safe in sobriety:
- Only date sober individuals who are either in recovery or those who are otherwise committed to a substance-free lifestyle. Try a sober dating app to find like-minded people.
- Get a sense of their commitment to sobriety and only date those who are as committed, or more committed, than you are.
- Take it slow and avoid getting too involved early on. This allows you to gauge whether the person is a good fit for you in recovery.
- Be patient and selective. Avoid being driven by loneliness and going out with anyone. Set the bar high.
- Continue going to recovery meetings and remain close to your sober support network to stay secure in your new sobriety while dating.
8 fun sober date ideas
The great news is that romance doesn’t have to involve substances to be fun and exciting. Although you may have to give date nights a little more thought in recovery, you will soon find that there are tons of possibilities out there. In fact, because you do have to give dating a little more effort than heading to the local bar, you will actually discover fun activities that may have otherwise never crossed your mind.
Consider these date ideas that don’t involve alcohol:
- Go rock climbing: Find an indoor rock-climbing venue and scale those walls together.
- Go to an escape room: Whether it’s a group date or just the two of you, find a local escape room for an exhilarating evening of fun.
- Go bowling: Bowling is the kind of old school fun that no one really grows out of. Grab some sober friends and hit the local bowling alley for some friendly competition.
- Take a nature hike: Pack a picnic, find an interesting hiking trail and head out to enjoy the beauty of nature.
- Take a boat ride: Being on the water is very romantic, whether it is during a daytime sailing excursion or an evening boat ride in the harbor.
- Enjoy an outdoor music festival: If you love live music, look for an outdoor music event to attend. Remember to bring your own snacks and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Volunteer for a cause: If you share a passion for a cause, why not sign up to help out as a team. Find a local charity that could use two sets of helpful hands.
- Go gallery hopping: If you are into the arts, head for a vibrant arts community to hit an opening, a show or just stroll through multiple galleries.
When it comes to coming up with date ideas that don’t involve substances, the sky’s the limit. Dating doesn’t have to include alcohol to be fun. Just open your imagination and let the ideas flow.