Having reliable and stable sources of support in early recovery is essential. Active Participation in a local recovery community and getting a sponsor can provide you with a solid foundation to build your support network.
Why not add a few new digital resources?
If you’re in the early stages of recovery, try a sobriety app or two to help you regain your footing. These handy smartphone apps can help provide you with support and accountability as you navigate your new life in sobriety, while keeping you engaged and motivated in your recovery efforts. Keep reading to learn more about these helpful recovery tools.
What is a sobriety app?
Technology has been incredibly helpful for the recovery community. Online A.A. meetings, forums and smartphone apps have broadened the scope of resources available for individuals seeking inspiration and support. Sobriety apps offer relevant tools that are easily accessible at any time of day and provide a variety of supportive functions.
Like what, exactly?
Some apps help you keep track of sobriety milestones, while others provide communities, meditations, distractions, accountability or rewards, all which can help you sustain sobriety. The effectiveness of these different approaches can vary by individual, so it’s worth it to try more than one.
Benefits of using sobriety apps
The most significant benefit of using sobriety apps is their accessibility. You can easily find support to help you overcome a sudden urge to return to the substance from the comfort of your home, office or car. Challenges to your recovery journey can happen at any time of day, so having a convenient source of support can make a world of difference.
Another benefit is that many sobriety apps are free to use. Others may have in-app purchases for a deeper experience, or charge a small monthly fee for extra features or personalization.
Some sobriety apps also offer support in areas that go beyond mitigating cravings, such as stress reduction, of sleep patterns or mental wellness. Apps that address these peripheral contributors to potential relapse can also be helpful, as these aspects of mental wellness are closely intertwined with recovery.
6 sobriety apps to try while in recovery
Because the state of your recovery may vary from day to day, it is important to have plenty of tools available to help you.
Check out these sobriety apps to add that additional tool to your recovery toolbox:
- I am Sober: This app is designed to motivate you by providing a tracker to keep a count of sober days, with special notifications whenever you reach a milestone.
- Sober Grid: This is a social media app for people in recovery. The app helps users find a safe way to connect and form a local network of sober friends. There is also an option to sign up for 24/7 coaching by a state-certified peer counselor.
- 12 Steps Companion A.A. Big Book: This app provides the entire Big Book of A.A., as well as a tracker to help keep record of your sobriety journey in hours, days, months or years. There are also the morning and night prayers.
- Loosid: This app sends you daily sober tips, and also offers recorded motivational sessions with clinical experts, addiction specialists and celebrities. Loosid also provides a forum where members can talk about various recovery topics.
- Sober Time: This app not only helps you track your progress, but also lets you see how much money you have saved in sobriety. It also sends you daily motivational messages as well.
- Recovery Path: This sobriety app uses cognitive behavioral therapy and motivational enhancement to help users achieve their recovery goals.
In this day and age, why not harness the capabilities of technology to strengthen recovery? Sobriety apps are a valuable source of motivation and support, impacting recovery in a meaningful way.
Ashley Addiction Treatment, formerly Father Martin’s Ashley, is a nationally recognized nonprofit leader in integrated, evidence-based treatment for substance use disorders. Our programs are accredited by The Joint Commission, and result in frequent publications of ongoing research into effective treatment methodologies. We offer holistic care that encompasses the mind, body and spirit through inpatient and outpatient treatment, provide drug detox, relapse prevention plans, family wellness programs and a variety of other services tailored to each patient’s unique needs. Our driving principle — “everything for recovery” — reinforces our mission to transform and save lives through the science of medicine, the art of therapy and the compassion of spirituality, and is complemented by our philosophy of healing with respect and dignity. For information about our comprehensive programs, please call (866) 313-6307.