Although genetic factors of addiction play a role for some people, substance abuse disorder isn’t something you’re born with. It develops slowly over time and causes you to gradually lose control over your life. Without medical intervention, it can easily transform into an addiction.
Symptoms of a Substance Abuse Disorder
Although no two individuals with a substance abuse disorder will exhibit the same exact symptoms, certain behaviors may point to a problem. Some of these include:
- Needing to drink or use drugs to function normally
- Having intense cravings
- Using or drinking despite negative consequences
- Neglecting other areas of your life that don’t involve substance abuse
- Borrowing or stealing to fund your habit
One of the clearest signs of substance abuse disorder includes suffering alcohol or drug withdrawal symptoms when you try to stop using. This also shows you need substance abuse treatment for your addiction.
Risk Factors for Substance Use Disorder
Anyone can become addicted to drugs or alcohol. However, some factors make you more susceptible to a substance abuse disorder. These risk factors include:
- Family drug addiction history
- Mental health conditions
- Peer pressure or social connections
- Absence of family or lack of family involvement
- Early start to drug use in childhood or teen years
- Using highly addictive substances
Low self-esteem is another common characteristic of those struggling with a substance abuse disorder. During drug addiction rehab, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) corrects these negative thoughts and how they affect actions and emotions.
Complications of Addiction
Addiction has the potential to tear your life apart, and it also hurts the lives of people who care about you. The only way to regain control is to get help. Through a quality detox and rehab program, you’ll gain the therapies, support, education, and care you need for long-term recovery.
Addiction Treatment in Havre de Grace, Maryland
If you’re struggling with a substance abuse disorder, Ashley Addiction Treatment in Havre de Grace, Maryland, offers the qualified addiction help you need. We offer a wide range of substance abuse programs, including:
- Primary program for adults
- Relapse program for those who experienced a setback in their recovery
- Young adult program for 18–25-year-old men and women
- Pain recovery program to help those with pain management issues
Knowing the signs of substance abuse disorder is only one part of addiction recognition. The next part involves getting to know why that addiction started to prevent it from returning. For help, call Ashley Addiction Treatment today at 866-313-6307.