Who doesn’t look forward to the summertime? After all those years at school, the idea that summer is the season of fun and freedom is still ingrained in our minds. Summer offers the promise of relaxation, recreation and socializing.
For those in recovery, summer can be just as wonderful as it ever was. All it takes is a little planning. In fact, summertime can provide an opportunity to further enhance a newfound sober lifestyle. Although many summer pastimes traditionally involve drinking, there are plenty of fun activities that don’t.
Cultivating a sober lifestyle in recovery
When first entering recovery, you may need a little convincing that it is still possible to have an exciting and interesting life in sobriety. Soon enough, though, you will witness this firsthand as you begin cultivating your new sober lifestyle.
As you shape your new life in recovery around the commitment to sobriety, you open yourself up to new possibilities. Sober living leads to new friendships, restored health and renewed purpose.
Sober summer activities to try
With summer right around the corner, it’s time to begin making plans. As you will see by these nine sober activities, your summer in recovery will be full of fun and new memories:
- Plan a camping trip. There is nothing like spending a few days in the great outdoors during the summer. Gather a group of hearty campers, reserve a campsite, pack the marshmallows and don’t forget the mosquito spray.
- Organize a sober sports team. Find a local recreational sports league and form a team of sober softball, soccer or volleyball players. Doing so can help you create a network of sober friendships.
- Explore water sports. Summer is the perfect time to head to the water, where there are a multitude of activities to try out. Whether it is kayaking, paddle boarding, sailing or diving, you are bound to have a fantastic time.
- Find a cause. Nothing sparks a renewed sense of purpose like volunteering your time to a noble cause. Your community is bound to have many volunteer opportunities, like tutoring kids, walking dogs at the shelter or helping at the local food pantry.
- Start a hiking group. Discover the natural wonders around you by organizing a hiking group. Pack a lunch and go explore the local trails together.
- Take a trip. Join a local sober meetup travel group for a summer trip. Depending on your location, you will find sober travel groups planning trips and adventures, both domestically and abroad.
- Go fishing. If you’re looking for a calm and relaxing activity, why not grab your fishing pole and find a quiet spot to catch up on your reading? With any luck, you’ll come home with some dinner.
- Plan a picnic. Everybody loves a summer picnic! Invite your sober friends to meet at a local park for a potluck barbeque. Make it a family event, with plenty of games and activities for the kids, too.
- Go horseback riding. Saddle up alongside some sober friends and have a blast exploring the sights, sounds and smells along the riding trail.
A sober lifestyle is only as fulfilling as you make it, so embrace your recovery and make this the most awesome summer ever.
Ashley Addiction Treatment, formerly Father Martin’s Ashley, is a nationally recognized nonprofit leader in integrated, evidence-based treatment for substance use disorders. Our programs are accredited by The Joint Commission, and result in frequent publications of ongoing research into effective treatment methodologies. We offer holistic care that encompasses the mind, body and spirit through inpatient and outpatient treatment, provide drug detox, relapse prevention plans, family wellness programs and a variety of other services tailored to each patient’s unique needs. Our driving principle — “everything for recovery” — reinforces our mission to transform and save lives through the science of medicine, the art of therapy and the compassion of spirituality, and is complemented by our philosophy of healing with respect and dignity. For information about our comprehensive programs, please call (866) 313-6307.