Rebuilding your life in addiction recovery can be a mystifying task at the outset. It takes time to shift over to a healthy daily routine and sober lifestyle. One of the best ways to improve the quality of life in sobriety is to engage in some sober activities that especially appeal to women. Whether you participate in the activities on your own or with your sober posse, doing so will provide you with many health and wellness benefits.
10 Sober Activities for Women
With the right mindset, you can start to see sobriety as an opportunity for personal growth. Recovery offers a chance to explore new interests, make new friends, and learn new surprising things about yourself. There is certainly no shortage of sober lifestyle activities or special events for women in recovery. Life in recovery can be an amazing adventure when you approach it with curiosity and zeal.
Consider these sober living activities for women:
- Stand-up paddle boarding. If you happen to have a body of water nearby, why not take up stand-up paddle boarding? Join a class or grab some sober friends and see what all the fuss is about [hint: it is really, really fun]. Is paddle boarding not for you? No worries, try a sailing class or rent a kayak for some summer fun on the water.
- Take a cooking class. Emeril’s got nothing on you, girl. Seek out an online cooking class, or one that is offered through your community recreation department, and learn to cook some amazing new recipes. Try them out later by hosting a little dinner party for some sober friends or family.
- Set some fitness goals. Explore a new fitness activity to fire up your motivation again. We all know exercise can become routine and boring, so take the offensive and try out something new. Consider Zumba, barre fitness, yoga, Pilates, cross-fit, or an outdoor boot camp. Right now, these classes can typically be found online.
- Join a Meetup group. Sober Meetup groups abound across the country. There is a Meetup group for just about every hobby or interest you can imagine. Go to meetup.com and create your own profile based on interests and location, and then engage. Many Meetups are conducting virtual meetings, so download the Zoom app and get social.
- Start an Etsy shop. Revive an old passion or learn a new craft and set up your own little Etsy business online. Dedicate a space in your home for your jewelry making, sewing, or crafting and let your creativity run wild. Create an Etsy shop, take some photos, and post your wares for the world to see.
- Take a class. Have you always wanted to learn how to speak Portuguese? How to use Photoshop? How to write a novel? Sign up for a class through your local community college and learn something new.
- Take a day trip. Grab a friend and hit the road for a day trip. There are limitless possibilities for places to explore. Do some research ahead so you will know what attractions are open, and familiarize yourself with the must-see highlights. Pack a picnic and head out for an adventure.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter. If you are an animal lover, sign up as a volunteer at the local shelter for a sober activity that is both fulfilling and fun. Helping out with feeding, grooming, or walking the animals is an immensely gratifying way to spend some time.
- Join a sports team. If you miss your soccer playing days or pine for the softball field, why not join a local recreational sports team? Adult women’s leagues are easy to find, including volleyball, kickball, pickleball, soccer, and softball.
- Attend special events. Whether it is a recovery conference designed for women, a women’s recovery retreat, or an all-women 5K, look for events for women in recovery in your own community.
What better way to find peace and happiness in addiction recovery than by engaging in activities that stir your soul and bring a smile to your face. So, find your new passion, make some new friends, and stay busy with activities that bring you a sense of joy in recovery.
Ashley Addiction Treatment believes that connection is vital to a successful recovery, with treatment options focused on holistic, integrated, and compassionate care. Ashley utilizes a variety of treatment modalities to support the healing process. If you would like to speak to someone about our care options, please reach out to us today at 800-799-4673.